We operate from two offices – one in the UK and one in Malawi.
Our UK operations focus mostly on fundraising, and are based in central Bristol. We are a small team, headed up by our co-founder and Managing Director, Jo Hook.
Our office in Mzuzu, in northern Malawi is the heart of our operations, from where we manage and run all our projects. Many of the 25-strong team in Malawi are from Nkhata Bay North region, where we work. This is their stomping ground – they know the landscape, the climate, and the communities better than anyone.
Finance and Systems Manager
As the Finance and Systems Manager at Temwa, your time will be spent working on Temwa UK financial management, supporting Temwa Malawi with financial management and systems, working with the Temwa UK team on IT systems, working on policies that cover both Temwa UK and Temwa Malawi, HR, payroll and working on the Temwa Carbon Balance offer. You will report directly to the Temwa UK Managing Director as well as being accountable to the Temwa UK Board Treasurer. The role can be based 2.5 days in a week, or shorter hours through a 5 day period, either in the office or work hours can be split working part time in the office and part time from home.
- To oversee the financial health of Temwa UK, optimise its financial performance and help ensure its continued viability.
- To work with Temwa Malawi to improve local finance systems, practices and reporting.
- To ensure Temwa UK’s policies, IT systems and HR practices are up to date and properly implemented.
- To help Temwa UK develop its carbon balancing income streams.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
UK Finance & Systems
● Invoicing, payments and procurement
● Cash management
● Preparation of monthly finance forecast and reports
● Quarterly reporting to board
● Preparation of annual accounts
● Restricted funds management
● Day to day updating of finance system
● Ad hoc financial analysis as required
● Occasional office management duties
● Preparing and submitting Gift Aid claims
● Working with the Temwa Malawi team on budget preparation and financial reporting
● Monitoring of Temwa Malawi finance reports and supporting the finance team on issues as required
● Supporting the programme team on project budgeting and finance systems
● Preparing monthly funds transfers
● Supporting staff and board in reviewing and updating policies
● Ensuring that Temwa’s policies are compliant with relevant legislation and regulations
● Supporting Temwa Malawi on policy review and updates
HR and Payroll
● Managing new starters, preparing and updating employment contracts
● Running monthly payroll using Quickbooks, making HMRC and pension submissions and payments
● Support on Temwa Carbon Balance
● Carrying out client calculations, preparing estimates and invoices
● Working as a team on business planning to possibly deliver accredited carbon offsetting
● Managing G Suite account including users, groups, apps etc. Supporting staff with day-to-day IT issues
Experience, qualifications and requirements
● Experience of charity finance management
● Expertise in using digital finance platforms such as Quickbooks Online
● Experience of HR and payroll management
● High level of experience in using Excel for finance planning and budgeting
● Ability to form good collaborative relationships as part of an international virtual team with Malawi colleagues
● Commitment to a ‘global justice’ approach to international development
● Excellent attention to detail
● Ability to prepare written documents to a high standard of content and presentation
● Good general IT skills
● Finance management or accountancy qualification, e.g. CIMA Cert BA.
● Experience in the international development sector, especially in African countries
Experience of carbon offsetting or carbon accountancy
Click here for the full JD and how to apply
Stay in touch! You can also sign up to our newsletter for announcements, news from Malawi and job updates!